Friday, April 30, 2010

Scrunched Ribbon

I recently ordered some vintage, scrunched up seam binding from MemrieMare on Etsy.  I deliberately selected colors I knew I could not duplicate with my current Glimmer Mist colors.  At the same time I also ordered some plain seam binding from another source to do my own.  And that's what I've been doing today.  I used this video by Tammy Tutterow as a guideline. 

My countertop is Quartz so it's basically indestructible but I spread out some wax paper anyway to use as my base (it makes The Donald feel better).  After spraying the seam binding I cleaned up the wax paper by wiping it up with the ribbon and then swiping it down with a dry paper towel to get rid of any additional residue.  I did this after each color.  I "scrunched" each up in a ball then wrapped in Saran wrap to get the wrinkled, crinkled look.  I also wanted some scrunched white so I just wet it with water and wrapped in Saran wrap too. 


I also wanted some not so scrunched so I hung several of the colors on a hanger to dry. Of course, I could have got the same effect from ironing the scrunched ribbon but I am allergic to my iron (wink).



I can't wait to see how these turn out.  I would think that you could also use some watered down re-inkers 0r alcohol inks for this too. 

I hope you all have a happy National Scrapbooking Day!  I won't be home on Saturday so I'll be doing very little, if anything, for it. This will be my first time in several years that i won't be preparing something to celebrate at Lifetime Moments.  A class, a project, something!  It feels strange and disconcerting. 

3 comments:

  1. I thought of LM on Saturday too... still miss them. :(
    Your ribbons look really cool and I can't wait to see you put them to use on a project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ribbons too! I also make my own:)

    Check me out:
    www.ihavefunwithpaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete